Click here to access free resources for launching a successful composting program
We provide 35-gallon and 64-gallon roll-out carts to store food waste separately from trash. Carts are equipped with two wheels for easy maneuverability, lids, and a locking mechanism to prevent unwanted access. Our dedicated food waste collection fleet is designed to prevent release of liquids as we empty your carts. Here’s what to expect:
We transport the food waste to processing facilities in the New York City area.
The food waste is then transferred to aerobic and anaerobic compost facilities.
Processed material becomes top soil, mulch and other aggregate material for use on farms, gardens and in landscaping projects.
The Anaerobic Digesters (AD’s) used in food waste composting rapidly cycle organics back into use, turning them into a valuable resource for sustainable agriculture and renewable energy.
Businesses that meet the following requirements are required to set up a composting program:
DSNY expanded the criteria for establishments who need to comply with the organics rules on July 31, 2020. Enforcement for the new criteria began July 2022.
Food Service Establishments (such as restaurants, delis, coffee shops, cafeterias, etc.)
- Food Service Establishments with a floor area of at least 7,000 square feet
- Chain Food Service Establishments of 2 to 99 NYC locations with combined floor area 8,000 square feet or more
- Food Service Establishments that are part of a chain of 100 or more locations in the city of New York
- Food Service Establishments in Hotels with 100 or more guest rooms
- Food Service Establishments with combined floor area 8,000 square feet or more in the same building or location
Retail Food Stores (such as supermarkets and grocery stores)
- Retail food Stores with a floor area of at least 10,000 square feet
- Chain Retail Food Stores of 3 or more NYC locations with combined floor area 10,000 square feet or more
Food Preparation Locations having 6,000 square feet or more
Catering Establishments hosting on-site events to be attended by more than 100 people
Temporary Public Events to be attended by more than 500 people
Arenas and Stadiums with a seating capacity of at least 15,000 people
Food Manufacturers with a floor area of at least 25,000 square feet
Food Wholesalers with a floor area of at least 20,000 square feet
Learn more by visiting the DSNY Commercial Organics Requirements page.
Composting fights global warming
By diverting organics from trash to composting, we can help you achieve or surpass your sustainability goals. Composting food waste is an effective way of preventing the production of damaging greenhouse gas emissions. When organic material is composted instead of landfilled or burned, it prevents the release of methane gas and directs much-needed nutrients back into our natural environment.
Composting is cost-effective
For most of our customers, food waste diversion is less expensive than throwing it away as trash. It’s one of the ways Mr. T Carting is leading the way to Zero Waste.
- Composting is less expensive than trash by weight.
- Our composting trucks have scales, so you can track the weight of the food waste as well as the volume.
- We can set up composting programs and lower the weight of the material that you throw away to enable a reduced cost.
Draw on our staff’s expertise today to design, implement and manage your food waste compost program.
Download Our Composting Poster
Download Our Composting Postcard